Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Product Field Review - Simms Alumabite Cleats

Simms Alumabite Cleats

For a few years now I have used the Simms Star Cleats on my Vibram soles for Steelheading. They have always been pretty sticky but the carbide cleats will slip on certain rock shapes.

This tear I decided to add 5 of the Alumabite cleats on each boot, in addition to the star cleats. This is the way to go! The aluminum is like glue, at no time did I feel any instability due to slipping while wading. A lot of you likely know that uncoated aluminum sticks like crazy to rocks. That's why we used to have spend hours coating the bottom of our Kofflers with Glove-It.  Now you can take advantage of that for safer wading.

The only downside I can figure out with the Alumabites is that they will wear quicker than other cleats/studs due to the softer properties of aluminum. This is what makes them so sticky so I think it's worth it. Based on the wear I have on the Alumabites, after 21 days straight fishing, I would expect 2-3 seasons of use before I have to replace....not bad.

Product Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment