Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Black Fly Bonefish Lodge Report

Finally getting around to giving a report on Black Fly Lodge, Abaco, Bahamas
after being back for a week........

I've been to a few different destinations here and there but I haven't ever had my expectations completely exceeded like I did at Black Fly! I went down there expecting to fish for 2-4 pound Bonefish all week with not much else to do. Thought we might stumble into one or two Permit if we were lucky...
Not so!



Black Fly Lodge is a unique concept operation with Canadian, American, and Bahamian partners.
Some of you likely recognize the "Black Fly" logo. Vaughn and Jean Cochran bring their expertise to the mix at BF, as well as Clint Kemp, a long time Bahamas guide and businessman, and finally David Byler, a long time friend and serious angler from our part of the world. After a week's worth of evening discussions about the direction of BF in the future I can say this will be a pretty special place.



As I mentioned, my expectiations were completely blown out of the water! Not only is there lots of big Bonefish, but you can chase Permit here all week! And they're big! The fish above would be considered almost a juvenile at around 18 pounds. Doubel digit Bonefish, although not a given, are certainly around in good enough numbers to offer the possibility for a true 10 pound Bonefish.

Currently operating out of a temporary (but very nice) lodge, Black Fly will open their new lodge
to anglers around March of 2013. The walls on the second floor were just going up when we were there so
March should be achievable. The new lodge will be a truly "unforgettable" place to stay. With the classic, club feel that makes us think of the likes of Hemingway.

The flats of Abaco are spectacular. Black Fly does things a little differently. If the weather cooperates
you will see five different areas of Abaco. I'm pretty sure this is one reason why we saw bigger Bonefish and lots of Permit. Others I know who have fished Abaco pretty much only fished the Marls area, which is cool but there is so much more there!

 There are very good numbers of this size class of Permit at Black Fly.
This would have been another world record for Diana Rudolph from 2011.
Black Fly photo.

Fish like this are not uncommon with some of the coolest tailing Bonefish stuff I have seen.
Very, Very healthy flats! lots of life, very healthy grass!
Black Fly photo.

Another surprise for me was that this area might be the best fishery left in the world for tailing Mutton Snapper. I saw more "pink tails" in one week than I have seen in ten years.
All in all, I`d go back in a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment