Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Stuff That Works/Stuff That Doesn't

Back from the three weeks of Mexico and Bahamas fishing.
This means I got to put some stuff
through their paces.

Here's some reviews on items used......some good, some not so good!

 

New Orvis Helios and Helios 3D Fly Lines
Had fished the Helios lines last fall on the Bow and liked them. Fished them on my 6, 9, and 10
weights for Bonefish, Permit, Snook, and Tarpon. The Helios 3D is very nice, it does
everything the Sharkskins do (shoots like crazy) but doesn't make near hte noise in the guides
nor is it hard on the hands. I love these lines!

The Helios lines are the smooth coating version. I would say they are noticeably improved over
the Wonderlines, which they replaced. Perfect for those who don't want a textured line or
wish to save a little money.
5 out of 5 Stars - Helios 3D
4 out of 5 Stars - Helios

Simms Flyte Shorts
After Simms discontinued the Longhaul Short a couple years ago I was very disappointed.
They were perfect for fit, comfort, breathability,etc. The Flyte finally fixes that problem.
They are the perfect weight for the tropics. Unlike the Surf Shorts they have regular style front
pockets on both sides which I prefer as well as a zippered lower pocket. Also belt loops so I
can keep pliers on my belt (can't on the Surf Short). Nicer material and fit than the Superlight!
4.5 out of 5 Stars


Simms Solarflex Shirt
After having used only the Ultralight for a coupleof years I gave the Solarflex a try.
I would say they are as breathable and comfortable as the U/L. Took me a bit to get
used to my arms being covered (normally roll up sleeves) but all in all a great shirt,
especially for those who are careful with the sun.
4 out of 5 stars



Simms Waderwick Boxers
Having used the Ex Officio breathable underwear for a long time I was glad that
Simms finally did a boxer suitable for the tropics. These are PERFECT! Very fast drying,
breathable, and comfortable. A little nicer cut than the Ex Officio or Patagonia, making them
more comfortable when wet or dry.
5 out of 5 Stars


Scientific Anglers Bonefish/Redfish Lines
These lines are certainly not new, I have fished them before over the years. But I have finally
had enough of them. The cores are way too soft for the tropics as are the coatings.
They are not a bad line to cast (there are better lines) but the darn things are so soft they tangle like
crazy coming off the deck or water. You constantly fight with them. I've finally had enough of them
and will never fish one again!
1 out of 5 Stars

Orvis Safe Passage Carry-It-All Case
Still as nice of travel case for rods and reels as I have seen. I can carry eight rods in this thing.
4 out of 5 Stars

Yeti Tundra Coolers
Obviously I didn't haul my Yeti down there but the boys at Black Fly are smart and use them.
They continue to amaze me at how well they hold ice!
5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment